Monday 5 April 2010

The Owl and the Pussy Cat - Episode 2

In January I completed episode 2 of my Owl and Pussy Cat series.
You'll see a dramatic difference between this episode and the first, hopefully illustrating what I mentioned about developing the look as I animate. Here are the storyboards that I drew up before picking key panels to work up as illustrations in Photoshop.






















By piecing all the elements together in Photoshop I was able to have more control over the way that I wanted my animation to look and have a play around the colours and textures. Then I separated each individual element that would need to move in the final animation onto it's own layer in Photoshop (kinda like old fashioned cell animation where each separate moving part is on a different film of acetate). I could then import the PSD file, keeping the layers separate, into Toon Boom and begin making things move!
















With this episode I tried to create more of an atmosphere and sense of place, the previous animation was very neutral, and so I concentrated on achieving a sense that the Owl and the Cat were affected by their surroundings.
In this episode the Owl and the Cat get lost in the Arctic Ocean, and so I had plenty of opportunity to play around with shifting colour schemes, as you'll see.




((Audio clips are credited to FreeSound.org and I'd also like to thank Kirsty for the use of her textured paper and Ig for his doilies, without those vital ingredients it wouldn't have been able to snow! Cheers guys!! :D))

No comments:

Post a Comment